2005-01-23

I've got Fungus Gnats

…or more accurately, our jade plant does. I’m familiar with most typical house plant pests, but I hadn’t heard of fungus gnats until I did a little research. We’ve had some tiny flies living largely on the soil of a large jade plant, probably for the last two years. The plant hasn’t been bothered as far as I could see, so I haven’t done anything about it until now. They are tiny flies (as the name gnat suggests) and they live primarily on the fungus and organic material in soil. We’ve probably got them in all of out plants, but the jade just seems to be the most affected. Mind you, I had to wear my bifocals to get a good look at them…
You can get a good overview here: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05595.html
Lindy (my wife) suggested that may account for why our cats occasionally seem to jump at no apparent object – maybe they don’t need bifocals to see flying gnats!

No comments:

Post a Comment